Back to Culloden

Leanach Cottage

We regret that Leanach Cottage is currently closed to visitors due to water damage.

Reopened to visitors in 2019, Leanach Cottage was originally built in the early 18th century but has seen many changes since then. The traditional thatched cottage was lived in until 1912 but fell into disrepair shortly afterwards.

The cottage was later restored and served as the first visitor centre for people coming to see Culloden Battlefield.

Thatching on the cottage is made from heather that was collected from the battlefield and then crafted together by local tradesmen, whilst the walls are a mixture of stone and turf.