Visitor FAQ

We want everyone to have a great experience at National Trust for Scotland places. To help plan your visit, here are some of the questions that we frequently get asked by visitors.

Does my National Trust for Scotland membership give me access to National Trust places?

Yes. A National Trust for Scotland membership opens up a whole world of heritage for members to explore. We have reciprocal membership agreements with similar organisations around the globe, granting Trust members free or concessionary entry. Learn more about what you can explore with your membership.

What concessions are available to non-member visitors?

Children of 18 and under, accompanied by an adult; senior citizens; NUS students; Young Scot/Euro 26 card holders; unemployed people.

I have a disability – will I be able to visit?

Everyone is welcome at Trust places. We know that many historic places and the countryside can present difficulties for people with accessibility requirements. We’re constantly reviewing our facilities to ensure that all of our visitors can enjoy them. We recommend contacting the place you’re planning to visit in advance for detailed access arrangements.  Visitors with accessibility requirements are not charged a different admission price and any necessary companion is admitted free. We welcome all assistance dogs.

We have an ongoing programme of accessible content development. Detailed accessibility guides for the most visited Trust places are available on our Accessibility pages as well as links to useful resources.

We’d love you to visit the Euan’s Guide website to review the accessibility of Trust places and tell us (and others) what’s good and where we need to do better.

Can I take pictures?

You can take as many pictures as you like, for personal purposes, out in the grounds at all our places. Don’t forget to share them with us on social media!

If you want to fly a drone at any of our sites, you’ll need permission from the manager of the relevant location, even our countryside places. We only allow drone operators with appropriate public liability insurance in place at our sites, so please make sure you have that before getting in touch. 

Please be aware that there are restrictions on drone use at different times of year at some places because of the wildlife that lives and breeds there. Please follow any onsite signs or advice from Trust volunteers and staff relating to restrictions.

We’re also pleased to say that you can take pictures inside these properties: Alloa Tower, Bachelors’ Club, The Battle of Bannockburn, Barry Mill, Broughton House, Canna, Culzean Castle, Drum Castle, Glencoe, Hill of Tarvit, Holmwood, House of Dun (except Aberdeen Art Gallery loans), Hugh Miller’s Birthplace Cottage & Museum (except Miller House Museum), Inverewe, Mar Lodge Estate, Moirlanich Longhouse, Robert Smail’s Printing Works, Souter Johnnie’s Cottage, the Tenement House, the Georgian House and Weaver’s Cottage.

Due to loan conditions or security considerations, internal photography at other places is only allowed if the property manager agrees. To keep our collections safe, we never allow tripods, selfie sticks or flash photography.

Commercial photographers should contact the Trust’s Filming Manager to arrange visits, using our contact form.

Can I fly a drone at Trust places?

Before flying drones or unmanned aerial vehicles, you’ll need permission from the manager of the relevant Trust place. We also ask that you have the appropriate public liability insurance in place before making the approach.  

If you’re planning to bring your drone to a Trust property, always seek permission from the property team in advance and make sure that you follow any advice about areas where you cannot fly. There may be properties or parts of properties where drones are not allowed at certain times of year, particularly during breeding seasons for some wildlife. These rules are in place to keep wildlife safe.

The Civil Aviation Authority have issued guidance on drone safety more generally, which can be accessed on the Drone Safe website.

Professional users should contact the Trust’s Filming Manager to arrange visits using

Can I bring my dog?

Dogs are part of the family and we know many people like to bring them on a day out. We love to have dogs at our properties – we do ask that they are kept under proper control, and that their owners clean up after them.

There are some areas where dogs can’t go (unless they are assistance dogs) including buildings that are open to the public, walled gardens, most cafés and restaurants, and shops. Please check with staff if you’re unsure. Dogs (including assistance dogs) are not allowed on St Kilda.

Out in the countryside where there is livestock, dogs must be kept on a short lead or under close control to keep everyone safe. For more information please visit the Scottish Outdoor Access Code website.

I’m hoping to see a specific item or display – will it be on loan?

The Trust does loan items to other exhibitions or venues from time to time. When we do, we try our best to do this when most of our places are closed. If you’re planning a visit to see a specific item, we suggest contacting the place you’re going to visit to check if it is being loaned out from its usual home.

Can I hold my wedding, party or corporate event at a Trust place?

Yes. The Trust hosts hundreds of events every year, from small, intimate weddings and parties to half-marathons with hundreds of participants. If you’re interested in using a Trust location as a venue, contact the property manager early in the planning process, to discuss details and to help your event run smoothly.

If you’re planning an indoor event, our historic buildings are a great choice and you can see them on our Hire a Venue website. Our team will work with you to create your perfect event, and guide you through any considerations of using an historic location.

If you’re planning an outdoor event at a Trust location, or a large-scale event that passes through Trust land, please contact the relevant Trust place as soon as possible.

For outdoor events, we need to know: how many people would be attending; whether the relevant licences have been secured from the local authority; whether you plan to put up any temporary structures (parking, signs, toilets, etc); and information about your health and safety provision and insurance cover. Once we have this information, we’ll be able to decide whether we can host your event and whether there’ll be a charge.

As an apolitical charity, we do not permit any political events, whatever their purpose.

Can I use a metal detector on your land?

We only allow metal detecting when the activity is part of a programme agreed and managed by our Archaeology team. We do run regular events involving the public in digs and other research work.

Can I scatter my relative’s ashes at their favourite spot?

We understand that many people are very attached to certain special places and may request that their ashes are scattered there after death. Please contact the relevant Trust place in the first instance. Staff will be able to suggest locations and help you choose a suitable time, particularly at busy locations, when there will be fewer visitors around. Ashes cannot be buried at Trust places and we respectfully ask that you do not leave any permanent memorials or flowers wrapped in paper or cellophane, plastic wreathes or any other materials.

Can I remember a loved one by installing a bench or a plaque?

We appreciate that you would like to remember family and friends by donating a bench or installing a plaque in their memory. Unfortunately at this time we don’t have a requirement for benches and as a charity our mission is to protect the places and spaces in our care and as such we don’t allow plaques to be placed on items, buildings or landscapes that we look after as we want to preserve them and their natural beauty for future generations.

We know it’s important for our supporters to be able to remember loved ones at places special to them. In 2019 we will be launching ways in which you can do this and we would be pleased to be in touch next year to discuss options to support the Trust in memory of your loved one.