See all stories
20 Aug 2018

Inverewe House: phoenix from the ashes

Written by Ben Reiss
Lady Mary Mackenzie of Gairloch bought the land that became the Inverewe estate for her son Osgood in 1863. Osgood transformed the barren peninsula into a world-renowned garden surrounding his home, Inverewe House.

The Morton Charitable Trust has been funding fieldwork on the National Trust for Scotland’s photographic collections since 2014. In 2018–19, this work will further raise the profile of the collections through research, articles, talks and dedicated projects. The project will also involve the digitisation of the Margaret Fay Shaw photographic archive of mid-20th-century Hebridean life, leading to an updated database with high-quality images.