Towering over the gardens, Threave House was built for William Gordon in 1872. This Scottish Baronial mansion is made from the distinct red sandstone from nearby Dumfries. Home of the Gordon family, the house and surrounding estate was gifted to the Trust by Major Alan Gordon upon his death in 1957. The Scottish Baronial style was then considered so dated that there was even talk of demolishing the house! However, it found a new future as a school to train young gardeners, who began in 1960 to create the celebrated garden at Threave. It still houses our students to this day.

The principal rooms of the house have been restored as a museum, with surprising interiors for what was in essence a former Victorian hunting lodge. The rooms reflect the tastes and lives of the Gordon family in the 1930s. We also have a small but special collection of kitchenalia. Tours, led by a dedicated team of volunteers, are available throughout the season. Timings can change, so please call us to confirm opening times.

Threave House really comes alive at Christmas when it’s the centrepiece of our annual Holly & Ivy Festival, which runs the first week of December.

It’s also a wonderful space for weddings and private parties: grand enough to impress, but just the right size to feel comfortable and relaxed.