Visitor Information

We want everyone to have a great day out at the National Trust for Scotland’s places. To help plan your visit, here are some of the questions that we often get asked by visitors.

Can I take pictures?

You can take as many pictures as you like, for personal purpose, out in the grounds at all of our places. Don’t forget to share them with us on social media.

We are also pleased to say that visitors can take pictures inside these properties: Alloa Tower, Bachelors’ Club, Bannockburn, Barry Mill, Broughton House, Canna, Culzean, Drum Castle, Gladstone’s Land (except the Little Chamber), Glencoe Visitor Centre, Hill of Tarvit, Holmwood, House of Dun (except Aberdeen Art Gallery loans), Hugh Miller’s Birthplace Cottage & Museum (except Miller House Museum), Inverewe Garden & Estate, Leith Hall, Mar Lodge Estate, Menstrie Castle, Moirlanich Longhouse, Robert Smail’s Printing Works, Souter Johnnie’s Cottage, Tenement House, the Georgian House and Weavers Cottage.

Due to loan conditions or security considerations, internal photography at other properties is only allowed if the property manager agrees. To keep our collections safe, we never allow tripods, selfie sticks or flash photography.

Commercial photographers should contact Anna Rathband, Filming Manager –, to arrange visits and picture researchers can buy images from the online Image Database.

Does my NTS membership give me access to NT sites?

Yes. We have an agreement with other similar organisations around the world that means your NTS Membership gives you free entry to their places too - see the full list here. Where free parking is offered to National Trust members it also applies to NTS members.

What concessions are available to non-member visitors?

Everyone aged 17 and under, anyone with a disability, and everyone over the age of 60 are entitled to a concession ticket.

Can I bring my dog?

Dogs are part of the family and we know lots of people like to bring them on a day out. We love to have dogs at our properties – we do ask that they are kept under proper control, and that their owners clean up after them.

There are some areas where dogs can’t go (unless they are assistance dogs) include buildings that are open to the public, walled gardens, most cafes and restaurants and shops. Please check with staff if you are unsure.  Dogs (including assistance dogs) are not allowed on St Kilda.

Out in the countryside where there is livestock, dogs must be kept on a short lead or under close control to keep everyone safe.

For more information please visit the Scottish Outdoor Access Code website.

I have a disability – will I be able to visit?

Everyone is welcome at our properties. We know that many historic properties and the countryside can present difficulties for people with disabilities. We are always looking at our facilities to ensure that all of our visitors can have a great day out. We recommend contacting the property you are planning to visit in advance for detailed access arrangements.

Visitors with a disability are charged the normal admission price, any necessary companion is admitted free. We welcome all assistance dogs. More information about access can be found on the property pages, and it is also a good idea to phone the property direct too.

I’m hoping to see a specific item or display – will it be on loan?

Not very often! The Trust does loan items to other exhibitions or venues from time to time. Where we do, we try out best to do this over the winter, when most of our properties are closed. If an item is loaned out from its usual home, we’ll make this clear on the property webpage.

Can I hold my wedding/ party/ corporate event at a property?

Yes – the Trust hosts hundreds of events every year at its properties, from small, intimate weddings and parties to half-marathons with hundreds of participants. If you are interested in using a Trust location as a venue, contact the property manager early on in the planning process, to discuss details and to help your event run smoothly.

If you are planning an indoor event, our historic buildings are a great choice. Our team will work with you to create your perfect event, and guide you through any considerations of using an historic location.

If you are planning an outdoor event either at a Trust location, or a larger scale event which passes through Trust land, please contact the relevant property manager as soon as possible.

For outdoor events, we need to know: how many people would be attending, whether the relevant licences have been secured from the local authority, whether you plan to put up any temporary structures (parking, signs, toilets etc), more information about your health and safety provision and insurance cover.  Once we have this information, we’ll be able to decide whether we can host your event and whether there will be a charge .

As an apolitical charity, the Trust does not permit any political events at properties, whatever their purpose.

Can I use a metal detector on your land?

We only allow metal detecting when the activity is part of a programme agreed and managed by our Archaeology Team. We do run regular events involving the public in digs and other research work. For more information about this year’s plans, contact the team at

Can I scatter my relative’s ashes at their favourite spot?

We understand that many people are very attached to certain special places and may request that their ashes are scattered there after death. Please contact the relevant property manager in the first instance. They will be able to suggest locations and help you choose a suitable time, particularly at busy locations, when there will be fewer visitors around. Ashes cannot be buried at Trust properties and we respectfully ask that you do not leave any permanent memorials or flowers wrapped in paper or cellophane, plastic wreathes or any other materials.

Can I remember a loved one by installing a bench or cairn?

We do not normally allow permanent memorials like plaques, benches or cairns at properties. If you would like to create a permanent memorial for a relative or friend, you may like to think about leaving a donation in their name to the Trust. All those that are remembered or celebrated in this way are recorded in our In Memoriam book held at Head Office. Or you may wish to consider contributing to a project at their favourite property. The property manager will have a list of projects which you could support. For more information on making a donation in this way, please contact the Fundraising Team via

Can I fly a drone at Trust properties?

Before flying drones or unmanned aerial vehicles, you will need permission from the property manager. We also ask that you have the appropriate public liability insurance in place before making the approach.  

The Civil Aviation Authority have issued guidance on drone safety more generally, which can be accessed here:

Professional users should contact our Filming Manager Anna Rathband in the first instance at