The glorious silhouette of Fyvie Castle stands among hectares of landscaped parkland, steeped in centuries of history. This impressive apartment is one of the Trust's most prestigious holiday properties and stretches across the castle's Preston and Seton Towers.
Four floors of winding nooks and mezzanines, and rooms packed with antique furniture make a stay at Fyvie feel like stepping into the life of a true Scottish Laird.
About Fyvie Castle
- 4 storeys - accessed by a spiral staircase
- Sleeps 16 - 3 double and 5 twin bedrooms
- Dining room
- Drawing room
- 1 bathroom with original roll top bath
- 3 additional WCs
- 3 showers rooms
- Electric storage heaters
- Public transport accessible
Fyvie is about as fairytale as castles come. Its huge handsome structure is a prime example of Scottish baronial architecture. Inside, elaborate wood panelling, suits of armour and tapestries symbolise the wealth and power of the castle's succession of owners.
Over 800 years of history are built into Fyvie's walls. King William the Lion stayed on the site in 1214 when touring Scotland. Over time, each generation of new owners has expanded the castle to its monumental size. Fyvie's towers are all named after one of the five families who succeeded the estate in turn.
The castle also contains an outstanding collection of art, including works by Raeburn and Gainsborough. Where medieval stone cedes seamlessly into Edwardian opulence, a visit to Fyvie is unforgettable.
Things to do
- Try to find the missing weeping stones in the grounds, said by ancient prophet Thamas the Rhymer to hold a curse on the castle until they are found.
- A stay at the Preston Tower leaves you perfectly situated to explore the area's other castles. Craigievar is an hour and a half's drive away but the rewards will hit you as soon as you lay eyes on its magical pink-harled turrets.
- Pitmedden Garden is closer by. Five miles of weaving geometric boxwood hedging, fountains and dripping orchards make this restoration-period restored garden a relaxing day out.
Fyvie Castle is just off the A947, 26 miles north of Aberdeen and 21 miles from Aberdeen International Airport (Dyce).
Available for short breaks throughout the year (Monday to Friday and Friday to Monday). Full weeks run Saturday to Saturday.
Planning a wedding? The Preston Tower Apartment is also available for events like wedding receptions. Such additional activities must be agreed in advance with the Property Manager and this will incur an additional charge.
Discounted prices are available for smaller groups within 1 month of departure. Please contact the Holidays Department on 0844 493 2108 for further details.
Please note that guests will be asked to provide credit/debit card details as a good housekeeping deposit to cover any damages/ breakages which may occur. The deposit is £500 and will only be processed in the event of any damage to the property and its contents. < Hide