- On the second floor - access is via a steep spiral staircase and is not suitable for people with mobility difficulties
- Sleeps 6 - 1 double and 2 twin bedrooms
- Sitting room
- Bathroom with shower attachment
- Gas central heating
- Enclosed garden
- Parking available outside the apartment
- EPC Rating: E49
About The Hill House
The Hill House is the domestic masterpiece of the great Scottish architect Charles Rennie Mackintosh. Mackintosh was a key figure in the flowering of art in Glasgow at the end of the 19th century and a designer of extraordinary inventiveness. In 1902 he was commissioned by Walter Blackie, a publisher, to design this house and its interiors. The house blends tradition with a uniquely modern twist and is as visually striking today as it was a hundred years ago. Along with many of its original contents the house is now cared for by the National Trust for Scotland.
About the area
Helensburgh lies 23 miles from Glasgow on the north shore of the Firth of Clyde. The small town features shops, leisure facilities and the attractive Hermitage Park. It is also an excellent base for exploring the west of Scotland, for it is just a short drive to the southern shores of Loch Lomond and 45 minutes to Glasgow city centre by train.
Things to do
- Pay a visit to nearby Geilston Garden (NTS) in Cardross. This peaceful garden is home to several glasshouses, colourful borders, a heather garden, a spectacular Wellingtonia (Sequoiadendron giganteum) and a fruit and vegetable garden.
- Take a cruise on Loch Lomond, available from Tarbet (western shore, halfway up the loch) or Balloch (southern tip of the loch). Exploring Loch Lomond and its many islands is an unforgettable experience .
- The Arrochar Alps, around the head of Loch Long, provide some of the best and most demanding hiking trails in the country. Summits include many Munros, such as Ben Vane (915m) and Ben Vorlich (943m). Although not a Munro, the Cobbler (Ben Arthur) is certainly the most famous peak and the one with the most impressive skyline.
The Hill House is on the eastern edge of Helensburgh, off the A818, 23 miles north-west of Glasgow.