The O'Neill Flat has been refurbished in gorgeous Scottish style, blending contemporary luxury into period detail. Mrs O'Neill who rented the flat in the mid-1900s, was a caretaker for the Saltire Society, a charity formerly based in the building.
Although Wi-Fi is not available at the property you are visiting, there is mobile network coverage provided by T Mobile & Vodafone which will give you internet access if you have a dongle or appropriate device. Charges for internet access and data usage are available from the network operator. Please note that we do not supply PCs or laptops and that the signal can vary in strength in more remote areas.
- Fifth and sixth floor
- Sleeps 4 - 1 double, 1 twin bedroom
- Sitting room with dining area
- Gas central heating
- Shower room
- As access is via a steep turnpike staircase, regretfully this property is not suitable for the infirm
About Gladstone's Land
A tall, narrow, six-storey 17th century townhouse, Gladstone's Land offers two floors of restored display rooms, giving a fascinating glimpse into the grandeur and the squalor of town life 400 years ago.
About the area
Edinburgh still buzzes with a mercantile spirit and there are always farmers markets, craft fairs, buskers and festivals to be discovered around the centre. In August the Royal Mile comes alive with street performers; at Christmas time the smell of mulled wine fills the air around Princes Street when the annual German market comes to town.
Things to do
- Follow the High Street from the crags of the Castle down to the Palace of Holyrood, or wander down one of Edinburgh's closes that lead from the Royal Mile towards Princes Street.
- There are plenty of restaurants dotted up and down the High Street serving Scottish and international fare, but for fine healthy local produce, head to the Saturday morning farmers market on Castle Terrace, a short walk away.
- See how the other half lived, in the National Trust for Scotland's lavishly refurbished Georgian House, across in Edinburgh's New Town.
Gladstone’s Land is located in the Lawnmarket at the top of the Royal Mile. There is no parking available outside the property. Waverley Railway station is a ten-minute walk or a short taxi ride away. Edinburgh International airport offers a bus link to Waverley Station. < Less