- 2 storey
- Sleeps 5 - 1 twin, 1 double, 1 single
- Sitting room with open fire
- Separate dining room
- Bathroom with shower over bath
- Additional WC with shower and wash basin
- Oil-fired central heating/hot water
- Large unenclosed garden
- Parking available
- Public transport accessible
For larger groups, Millwheel and Granary Cottages can be booked, each sleeping 4.
About Threave Estate
Staying at Threave means you'll be able to make the most of the many things there are to see and do. This 14th century estate once belonged to the 'Black' Douglas family but was bought in 1867 by a successful Liverpool businessman who set about building the baronial mansion at the heart of the gardens. Threave's 1,490-acres weave through wetlands, woodlands, peat and rock gardens. Inside the house, themed rooms give a flavour of 1930s mansion life for Scotland's upper crust. Lose yourself in the secret garden, take a wander round the open-air sculpture collection and keep an eye out for bats; Threave is one of Scotland's hotspots for them.
About the area
Threave lies about a mile from Castle Douglas, the 'Food Town', known for its fine fresh local produce, its brewers, butchers and delicatessens. Castle Douglas was established in the late 18th century, along the same grid plan as Edinburgh's New Town, and thrived as a market hub. Its 1900 hexagonal Auction Mart is still in use today. In the surrounding countryside red squirrels, woodpeckers, badgers and hares make their home.
Things to do
- Stock up on fresh-grown fruit and vegetables from the Threave estate, available from the estate shop, and make the most of Gate Lodge's kitchen.
- Take a drive to Kirkcudbright, 'The Artists' Town', just over 20 miles away to see Broughton House, the rose-pink former home of Glasgow Boys painter E A Hornel.
- Rockcliffe, the Trust-owned sweep of pebble beaches and ancient woodland is a short drive away. Visit the ruined Dark Age citadel Mote of Mark or walk between the sailing villages that line the seafront.
Threave is just off the A75, 1 mile west of Castle Douglas.