See all stories
22 Feb 2017

Jacobite Stories: Culloden today

Jacobite Stories: Culloden today
Culloden was the last hand-to-hand battle fought on British soil.

Part of a European religious and political conflict, this short but bloody fight changed the course of history.

Since the mid-19th century the battlefield has become a place of pilgrimage for people from Scotland and throughout the world. Some visitors are descendants of those who fought; others are gripped by the extraordinary story. With ongoing archaeological research and fresh historical interpretations, the story of Culloden is far from over. 

The Memorial Cairn

Perhaps the most widely recognised feature on the battlefield was erected by Duncan Forbes in 1881 and stands 6m high. 

Graves of the clans

Lying on either side of the road driven through the battlefield in 1835, these headstones bear the names of the clans that fought here. Erected by Duncan Forbes in 1881, they mark where the fallen soldiers were buried by local people, some of whom were known to them. They were identified by their clan badge, a plant sprig worn in their bonnet. 

Field of the English

No exact site of government graves or trenches has been recorded. The government forces included three Scottish infantry regiments so the term ‘English’ is used loosely. The English Stone lies to the west of Leanach Cottage.

Well of the dead

To the west of the Field of the English, this stone marks the place where Alexander MacGillivray of Dunmaglass fell while leading Clan Chattan.

Cumberland stone

At the eastern corner of the battlefield, this huge boulder is said to mark the spot where the Duke of Cumberland directed the battle.

Leanach Cottage

The original farmhouse of Leanach survived the battle and has been restored several times. The roof is heather thatched, a traditional Highland craft.

The Culloden Walk

The Culloden Walk was created to help raise funds for the Trust’s new visitor centre. It is made up of over 1,200 stones, made from the finest quality Caithness stone, quarried from the north of Scotland. Each stone is individually engraved and hand finished with a message to commemorate anniversaries, special occasions or loved ones. We would like to thank all who supported us in this project.

Explore Culloden

Visit now