The Wemyss Circle is a group of like-minded supporters of the National Trust for Scotland who are invited to see behind the scenes and learn more about the issues and opportunities managed by the Trust: getting closer to eh conservation expertise of the Trust. From small conservation workshops to the President’s Reception, this group is invited to participate in events and briefings to find out more about the importance of heritage and conservation in Scotland. It is an opportunity for learning, socializing, and making a difference to our heritage.
Supporters who commit to donating £1,000 or more per year are invited to become part of the Wemyss Circle. These individuals will also be among the first to hear about new projects and initiatives and from time to time are invited to support those that they feel are most important to them. Most importantly, the Wemyss Circle is about growing the knowledge of our supporters and creating a group who can articulate the objectives of the National Trust for Scotland. The Circle is international: we recruit participants from all over the UK, USA and Canada and occasionally join with the wider donor family for special events and celebrations.
The Wemyss Circle was established in 2010 in the name of Lord Wemyss. For over 60 years the Earl of Wemyss and March was synonymous with the National Trust for Scotland. Through his leadership and inspiration, as Chairman from 1948, then President and President Emeritus, the Trust took its place at the forefront of the challenge to secure some of the most essential elements of the cultural and natural heritage of Scotland. The Trust, a charity, cares for an array of wonderful historic properties, from the grandest castles to the humblest bothies. In 2012 alone we spent £9 million on conservation projects, repairs and improvements, and this year we need to find a similar sum to look after the nation’s treasures in our care. We can’t do it without you: we depend on personal donations to augment the income we receive from membership fees, investments and the commercial activity at the properties in our care.
- Exclusive events at National Trust for Scotland properties featuring our experts in built heritage, collections, gardens and the countryside.
- An annual invitation to the President’s Drinks Reception, where you will meet some of the staff and volunteers who work on key projects funded by people like you.
- Opportunities to join staff and volunteers behind the scenes at the Trust.
- A bespoke newsletter for significant supporters of the National Trust for Scotland, giving updates on projects supported by your gifts.
- A named contact person to help with any queries you have about your donation and aspects of the work of the Trust.