Historic Background

The  Cross in 1849

Culross survives as a remarkably unaltered historic burgh due to the efforts of the NTS in the 1930’s to repair both townscapes and communities.

 At a time of great loss to our built heritage the Trust took an enlightened view that buildings were not to blame for poverty and that historic properties could be repaired and provided with modern conveniences to create healthy living environments.

Nowhere better epitomises this approach than Culross with its cobbled streetscape of sixteenth and seventeenth century dwellings many of which are retained in the Trust’s let property portfolio

Some of these buildings have not fared well over the past eighty years and numbers 6 & 7 The Cross are now in need of substantial refurbishment.Nowhere better epitomises this approach than Culross with its cobbled streetscape of sixteenth and seventeenth century dwellings many of which are retained in the Trust’s let property portfolio.

 
Aims of the Project

The repair of these properties at the heart of the historic burgh has been lead by the Trust’s Little Houses Improvement Scheme (LHIS) which has established a programme of works which will see the buildings returned to their original layouts as separate two storey dwellings each with its own small garden.

6 & 7 The  Cross, CulrossBoth will have two bedrooms and will be refurbished to the highest standard and brought back into the Trust’s let property portfolio.

Works are due to start in the autumn of 2013 and should be completed in summer 2014.