New for 2016 - playground opened!
A delightful garden, typical of the small country estates on the banks of the Clyde purchased by merchants and industrialists in the 18th and 19th centuries. Attractive features include a walled garden and a burn, winding through the wooded glen.
The garden at Geilston was developed over 200 years ago. It is a testimony to good landscape design – with the sum of its parts being greater than the individual constituents. These parts comprise a large walled garden with a dominating 100-ft Wellingtonia tree (Sequoiadendron giganteum) in the centre of the lawn, a kitchen garden and woodland area.
The Geilston Burn wends its way through the north of the estate towards the Clyde in Cardross.
The kitchen garden is the most labour-intensive area. It springs to life in April with the first sowings of carrots, parsnips and beetroot closely followed by transplanted brassicas. It also ‘feeds’ the produce stand, allowing visitors to take away a healthy, edible souvenir from the Garden.
The walled garden is the focus of spring colour with azaleas, heathers and unusual shrubs such as Cornus kousa ‘Satomi’. Summer colour is provided by the spectacularly vigorous species in the long herbaceous border – thalictrum, filipendula, eupatorium, helenium, phlox and sidalcea dominate the display.
Overall, Geilston is arguably one of the Trust’s most alluring gardens, with its tranquillity and intimate atmosphere.
Please note that Geilston House is currently not open to visitors.
Since 1945, when it acquired its first garden at Culzean Castle, the National Trust for Scotland has become the country's largest garden owner. Its properties include 35 major gardens together with another thirty that form part of other …