Gladstone's Land is a beautiful property often described as a 'hidden gem'. Lying just a stone's throw from Edinburgh Castle, on the Royal Mile, in the area known as 'Old Town'. The main part of our unique building dates as far back as 1550. The National Trust for Scotland rescued the property from demolition in the 1930's and has since restored the interiors of the first two floors to show how they would have looked and been used by tenants in circa 1620. The reconstructed cloth booth, priceless Renaissance painted interior, and many other rare features gives visitors a unique insight into the life and work of Edinburgh's citizens almost 400 years ago.
Our comfortable holiday accommodation is separate to the visitor attraction; housed in the upper floors of the building. Our self-catering flats provide everything you will need to enjoy this home away from home. Guests in our holiday flats will soak up the atmosphere of historic Edinburgh whilst enjoying arguably one of the best addresses that the city has to offer.
The Harrison Flat is a homely apartment with windows that overlook a traditional Edinburgh courtyard, surrounded by buildings in Scotch Baronial architecture. With the writer's museum next door and the castle nearby, the Harrison Flat is right in Edinburgh's cultural and historic heart. The perfect home away from home.
About the area:
- Third floor
- Sleeps 2 - 1 twin bedroom
- Sitting room
- Gas central heating
- Bathroom with shower over bath
- EPC Rating: D67
- As access is via a steep turnpike staircase, regretfully this property is not suitable for those with mobility issues.
Situated on the Lawnmarket of the Royal Mile, we are right in the heart of Edinburgh's atmospheric Old Town. Discover the oldest part of the city, once home to many important literary and philosophical figures, including Robert Burns and Thomas Geddes. You are spoilt for choice with visitor attractions and galleries that represent Edinburgh's rich cultural heritage with the Whisky Experience, Mary King's Close, the National Galleries, St Giles Cathedral and the National Museum of Scotland all a short walk away, as well as numerous independent shops, cafes and restaurants. The main train station at Waverley is close by and there are bus stops close to the property.
Things to do
- Take a stroll along the Royal Mile and adjacent streets to find shops selling traditional and lcoal produce.
- Taste Scottish and international cuisine, with a vast array of local restaurants and cosy cafes.
- Take a walk in the beautifully laid out and award winning, Princes Street Gardens.
- Enjoy the festivities of any number of festivals that Edinburgh has to offer including the world-remowned 'Fringe' comedy festival each August.
- Visit the elegant New Town and see how the High Society of the 18th century lived by visiting the National Trust for Scotland's Georgian House.
Gladstone’s Land is located in the Lawnmarket at the top of the Royal Mile. Waverley Railway station is a ten-minute walk or a short taxi ride away. Edinburgh International airport offers a bus link to Waverley Station and a tram service also operates from the airport to the city centre. < Hide