- 3 storeys
- Sleeps 8 - 12 - 1 double, 3 twin, plus additional sofa bed and two hand-built box beds suitable for children
- Hand-built kitchen with range
- Large dining room
- Family room
- Shower room and WC
- First-floor drawing room with views to three sides
- Thomas Mouat's writing room
- Large child friendly garden
A large child-friendly garden runs from the front of the house down to the pier at Belmont, where the ferry from Yell docks.
There is mobile reception (Vodaphone) and broadband at the property.
Unst is the most northerly of the Shetland Isles, just 12 miles long by 5 miles wide, outlined by majestic cliffs, ragged sea stacks, sheltered inlets, and golden beaches. Inland, purebred Shetland sheep and ponies roam the common grazing land. Unst is a major breeding site for seabirds including gannets, puffins, guillemots, razorbills, arctic skuas and whimbrels. Seals and porpoises are common and you may even see otters and killer whales. Try the following websites for more information:
Things to do
- Hermaness National Nature reserve is excellent for birdwatching. You'll find rare plants at Keen of Hamar, as well as sea and loch angling. The Trust can arrange guided walks, fishing trips, and tours of the island.
- Indulge in the local ingredients. Local lamb, shellfish and beef can be ordered, and there is also a Farmer's Market once a fortnight. We can even arrange for someone to come and cook for you at Belmont House.
- The Unst Viking project has been unearthing Norse finds all over the island. Visit their reconstructed Longhouse and ship at Haroldswick.
Although Unst is as far north as southern Greenland, it is a very accessible island. Smooth, modern roads and frequent vehicle ferries link the Shetland mainland to Unst via the neighbouring island of Yell. The ferries are very busy in summer and it is advisable to book in advance (Tel: 01957 722259).
Loganair flies from Aberdeen, Belfast, Benbecula, Birmingham, Campbeltown, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Exeter, Glasgow, Guernsey, Isle of Man, Jersey, Leeds/Bradford, Kirkwall, London (Gatwick), Manchester, Manston (Kent), Newquay, Norwich, Southampton to Sumburgh Airport on the Southern tip of mainland Shetland. < Hide