- 1 storey - reached by a steep stairway of over 100 steps and not suitable for less mobile people
- Sleeps 4 - 1 double, with additional bunk beds in recess
- Sitting/dining room with wood burning stove
- Shower room with WC
- Laundry facilities in an outbuilding
- Night storage heating
- Immersion water heating
- Parking for 2 cars at top of steps
Please bring a torch for night time
Additional apartments are available at Culzean. An interlinking door leads to South Segganwell Cottage which can be unlocked if both cottages are booked.
About Culzean Castle
Monumental, romantic and splendid, Culzean Castle was designed by Robert Adam in the 1770s on one of Scotland's most dramatic clifftop sites. The Armoury, the Library, the famous crimson oval staircase; all are guananteed to leave a lasting impression.
228 hectares (565 acres) of Country Park surrounding the castle offer a variety of countryside to explore, including clifftop and woodland walks.
About the area
Maybole is the closest town, an ancient village established in the 12th century. As well as a Victorian town hall and 17th century castle, the High Street has a range of shops and amenities.
Ayrshire is famous for its golf cousres including Turnberry, Royal Troon and Old Prestwick. Fishing, cycling, horse riding and clay shooting are also available nearby.
Things to do
- Spend a day losing yourself in Culzean's massive grounds. Spot the Ice House, the Swan Pond, visit the Deer Park and adopt a deer, or explore the rock pools on the beach.
- Alloway is only a short drive away. Learn about Scotland's National Bard at the Robert Burns Birthplace Museum, then follow in the footsteps of Tam O'Shanter and visit Alloway's 'auld haunted kirk'.
- There's not much left to see, but nearby clifftop ruin Turnberry Castle is steeped in medieval history. It's said Robert the Bruce's mother held his father captive here until he agreed to marry her, and the castle is widely held to be King Robert's birthplace. The ruin is old and unstable; take great care if exploring.
Culzean is 12 miles south of Ayr, 4 miles west of Maybole. < Less