For larger groups guests may be interested in booking the adjacent South Mains and Steading Cottage.
- 2 storeys
- Sleeps 4 - 2 twins
- L-shaped sitting room with dining area and wood-burning stove
- Compact bathroom with shower over bath
- Central heating - wet system with steel panel radiators fired by electric boiler
- Parking available beside the cottage
About Craigievar Castle
This fairytale castle, a fine example of Scottish Baronial architecture, has stood for almost four centuries against a backdrop of rolling hills. The great tower still looks just as it did when completed in 1626. Inside is a fine collection of family portraits and original furniture.
Waymarked walks lead through the surrounding 90 acres of parkland. Look out for swallows, fieldfares and redwings.
About the area
Craigievar Castle lies between the rivers Dee and Don, a 40-minute drive from the city of Aberdeen. Alford is the nearest town with a butchers, a bakers, pubs and restaurants. Most of the area is agricultural, and wildlife is abundant. Red squirrels and roe deer are a common sight in the woods, the elusive wildcat is present but rarely seen, and ospreys can even sometimes be seen fishing in the nearby rivers.
Things to do
- The Alford Heritage centre pays tribute to the workers of the area. Set in the old auction mart it contains displays on village and farm life from the past.
- Crathes Castle has a fascinating history and is beautifully preserved, less than 20 miles away.
- Take a picturesque drive through Royal Deeside's ancient caledonian pines to end up at the Mar Lodge Estate, a spectacular setting for walks and picnics.
Craigievar Castle is 6 miles S of Alford, 15 miles N of Banchory and 26 miles W of Aberdeen.
This holiday accommodation is available for winter and festive breaks. However, the access road to the castle may become impassable in heavy snow. Although this happens infrequently, in the event of this curtailing your holiday we will refund any days of the holiday that were not used. < Less