Roses climbing up the stonework, an inviting open fire, and a large private enclosed garden make Middle Cottage a perfect escape for families looking to step back in time.
Guests should note that from January to Spring 2016 there will be building work taking place at the adjacent East Cottage. This may cause some noise disruption and additional traffic to anyone staying at Middle Cottage during this period. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
- One storey
- Sleeps 4 - 2 twin bedrooms
- Sitting room/dining room with open fire
- Enclosed private garden
- Shower room with WC and wash basin
- Full central heating
About Hill of Tarvit
French Chippendale-style furniture and paintings by Raeburn line the family rooms of this Edwardian mansion house, completed in 1906 by the architect Sir Robert Lorimer. 'Below stairs', the kitchen and pantry have been perfectly preserved to give an insight into the work of the servants who kept the household running.
The estate lies among a patchwork of rolling farmland, and has its own superbly kept sunken rose and kitchen gardens, as well as a restored Edwardian hickory-club golf course.
About the area
Hill of Tarvit lies just outside Cupar, ten miles from St Andrews, home to Scotland's oldest university and the world's most famous golf course. Fife's East Neuk is a short drive away, offering pristine beaches, picture-perfect harbours and delicious fresh seafood.
The nearest shops are 1 mile away in Ceres and 2.5 miles away in Cupar.
Things to do
- Head to Anstruther for a stroll along the harbour. After taking in the views across to the Isle of May and the pastel and white cottages lining the shore, grab some award-winning fish and chips at the Anstruther Fish Bar.
- For a day at the beach, St Andrews's West Sands, Elie's Harbour Beach, Burntisland and Aberdour's Silver Sands all have Blue Flags, meaning they are clean, safe and offer good facilities.
- Spend a day in Renaissance paradise at nearby Falkland Palace. The country retreat of the Stuart Kings was a favourite of Mary Queen of Scots and is filled with elaborate antique furnishings.
Hill of Tarvit lies off the A916, 2 miles south of Cupar and 1 mile from Ceres. Cupar Railway station offers the closest train links.